Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A post about twitter

Sasha Cagen: This Is Your Brain on Twitter

I am so relieved that a smart person has come forward with a case against Twitter. "...listening to him gush about how Twitter was ushering in a new era of connection that we so desperately needed after the Bush era of fear and division."

Sorry, the new era of connection makes me feel more alienated and paranoid because it is a faster way for people to be self-absorbed with themselves enough to tell "followers" in 140 characters (or less) about their so-called "peak experiences". I'm always thinking that I'm not "with them" and what's wrong with me that I don't share their enthusiasm; their code makes no sense. It's a peak experience to them but to the followers, how many people are really thinking, "Who gives a fuck?" I suspect that people are quickly removing, within hours, the ones that they added because they thought it would be useful to follow them, perhaps to network with the people that they hoped could get 'em closer to making better money. Suddenly they're getting tweets such as, "My chocolate covered espresso bean was really a raisinette... Or a cockroach!"

Then I found Twitter Bashers. I hope they read Cagen's post at the Huffington Post.

Of course, these guys found a great use for Twitter. I suppose if I lived in the same area as one of my favorite celebs, writers, etc., and I was already following them on Twitter, then it could be a fun observation to see if they'd be desperate enough to say, "I'm at the Borders Books in downtown (big city name)," then you know they're just asking for attention... or a book sale when they're appearing in person to push their new book.

BTW, if I see a celeb outside of them appearing in public for official reasons, I tend to ignore them, or if they're in my line of vision, I just nod or say "hi" because they don't really want to be too close to strangers. They want to be recognized without the commitment of signing an autograph or posing for a photo in an unofficial context. When they're out with family or significant others, they don't want to be constantly interrupted. Walking by and, if they are even looking in your direction, saying, "Hi," with a smile is just enough to not make a nuisance of yourself. If they are making a big show of posing with a lot of fans, you would still have to ask them politely if they have time to talk to you; don't assume that they're doing it for everyone if they're stopped in the middle of a shopping mall.

There are a couple of famous musicians (won't name them but they both lived in the Bay Area and may still) whom, individually or at separate times, were staring at me while in a public place before I looked at them straight on and when I changed from peripherally looking at them to full on looking at them, I smiled at them and then continued on. I could tell from their expression that they just needed a look in their direction, but that if I approached them, they'd likely just be really nervous, get fidgety and ask what time is it because they have to be somewhere. Celebs are often that neurotic and test the "public" to see if they may still "have it".

No comments: