Monday, March 15, 2021

Songs from S2 "A Discovery of Witches"


via GIPHY (Teresa Palmer as Diana Bishop and Matthew Goode as Matthew Roydon)

Now that you've watched all of the episodes of S2 of "A Discovery of Witches," check out the songs on the artists' pages (source: Deborah Harkness). Rob Lane is the composer for the score on all three seasons; two seasons have aired so far. Further below is a link to the Spotify page for season two's score.

E1 "Nobody Knows The Trouble I've Seen" is quite fitting because of Matthew being burdened as a spy--a secret from Diana. Matthew Roydon is answering to his responsibilities put on him by the Crown to torture witches at the Tower of London's jail cells. He gets into moods and takes his frustrations out on the person he loves.
E1 
Lyrics
Nobody knows the trouble I've seen
Nobody knows my sorrow
Nobody knows the trouble I've seen
Glory, glory, Hallelujah
Sometimes I'm up
Sometimes I'm down
"Nobody Knows The Trouble I've Seen" read about its origins
Cover by AG X Valerie Broussard 
Valerie Broussard on Spotify
   

E2 has Matthew deciding to kill the witch in the prison cell rather than drag out the torture. He tries to placate Lord Cecil Burghley by saying what he thinks will keep him off of his back as well as the queen. Oh no, not me / I never lost control / You're face to face / With the man who sold the world.

"The Man Who Sold the World" original by David Bowie, cover by Torii Wolf & FWD The Man  

Steven Cree as Gallowglass


via GIPHY (Valarie Pettiford as Emily Mather)


E3 - Domenico has not had negotiating power so giving Gerbert a pathway to take down the de Clermonts may help him take Venice, Italy out of its dull reputation of only being valuable for tourism. He suddenly has a reason to negotiate for more power.
Excuse me, but can I be you for a while
My dog won't bite if you sit real still
I got the Anti-Christ in the kitchen yellin' at me again
Yeah, I can hear that
I don't care 'cause sometimes, I said sometimes I hear my voice
And it's been here
Silent all these years
"Silent All These Years" original by Tori Amos, cover by Kat Leon

E4  Marcus meets, falls in love with Phoebe. He tried to get miniature art pieces of Diana and Matthew. A vampire who is murdering people in Oxford broke into the auction house. He is trying to prove he's not a disappointment; be a grown up. His loyalty to the de Clermonts, particularly to Matthew, and also The Knights of Lazarus is tested and almost gives up the role of Grand Master in E8. Marcus has lived in Matthew's shadow and never being forced to lead. But now he knows that Matthew kept the secret of the blood rage from him; the reason why his children were assassinated. Matthew let him live, too. Protecting him from the truth was as if he was being coddled. He has to prove he can lead the Knights and it is time for him to make a difference; save the creatures from The Congregation.
New Order's "True Faith" plays in E4 and E8
I feel so extraordinary
Something's got a hold on me
I get this feeling I'm in motion
A certain sense of liberty
I don't care 'cause I'm not there
And I don't care if I'm here tomorrow
Again and again I've taken too much
Of the things that cost you too much
[Chorus]
I used to think that the day would never come
I'd see the light in the shade of the morning Sun
My morning sun is the drug that brings me near
To the childhood I lost, replaced by fear
I used to think that the day would never come
That my life would depend on the morning Sun

E4
Those one-track minds
They took you for a working boy
Kiss them goodbye
You shouldn't have to jump for joy
"Shout" original by Tears for Fears, cover by Losers
  

E5 ends with Diana defending herself against a witch that was a bit greedy for her memories. The night before, Diana tossed Matthew out after he thought he could come out with a wisecrack about how she should bed his father. Oh, yeah, he refused her interest in having sex with him because he's holding back on telling her he has blood rage and what it would be for her to let him "possess her completely."
"Me and the Devil " original by Robert Johnson "Me and the Devil Blues", cover by Soap&Skin with different lyrics, And I'm gonna see my man / Until I get satisfied


via GIPHY (Elaine Cassidy as Louisa de Clermont)

E6 after Matthew has a duel with his father, Philippe, he comes to terms with how he was part of his death. He also marries Diana and the lyrics are perfect for the wedding scene, the wedding night and the closing song as they depart for Bohemia with a sad farewell as Philippe bears no ill will towards Matthew. The new arrangement is refreshing to hear.

If I could save time in a bottle
The first thing that I'd like to do
Is to save everyday 'til eternity passes away
Just to spend it with you

And if I could make days last forever
And if words could make wishes come true
We'd walk through the fields of ripening corn
And time would flow through us and you
And I'd save everyday like a treasure and then
Again and again I'd spend them with you

And I've looked around enough to know
You're the one I wanna go through time with (ooh-ooh)
Through time with (ooh-ooh)
Through time with

If I had a box just for wishes
And dreams that had never come true
The box would be empty except for the memory
Of how they were answered by you

So if only I could save time in a bottle
The first thing that I'd like to do
Is to save everyday 'til eternity passes away
Just to spend them with you

And I'd save everyday like a treasure and then
Again and again I'd spend them with you (spend them with you)

I've looked around enough to know
You're the one I wanna go through time with (ooh-ooh)
Through time with (ooh-ooh)
Through time with
"Time in a Bottle" original by Jim Croce, rearranged/covered by Rob Lane, Julia Church, Jim Croce + Full Season 2 score.

via GIPHY (James Purefoy as Philippe de Clermont)

E7 Edward Kelley is hearing things from inside The Book of Life
I hear her voice
Calling my name
The sound is deep
In the dark
"A Forest" original by The Cure, cover by Kye Kye

The Cure "A Forest" 12" single

E8 Emily and Sarah are not on a path to contacting Rebecca about The Book of Life
Stop the things you do
Watch out, Watch out
I ain't lyin'
I love you
[chorus]
I put a spell on you
Because you're mine
"I Put a Spell on You" original by Jalacy "Screamin' Jay" Hawkins, cover by Alpines

via GIPHY (Aiysha Hart as Miriam Shepherd)

E9 "We've Only Just Begun" original by The Carpenters, cover by Welshly Arms (reworked by Rob Lane) (the cover has two versions and then there's also Rob Lane's reworked version that is not yet available to download). 
The lyrics are, again, perfect as Matthew and Diana discover how they can strengthen their relationship; establish that they trust each other. Diana accepts Matthew's desire to want to possess her body and soul. He should be who he is and not feel ashamed and resentful about what it means to be a vampire with blood rage; always having to be in control. He has finally decided to tell her and she doesn't resist him.
Sharing horizons that are new to us
Watching the signs along the way
Talkin' it over, just the two of us
Workin' together day to day
Together
Together
And when the evening comes, we smile
So much of life ahead
We'll find a place where there's room to grow
And yes, we've just begun
"Transcendence" by Rob Lane. Video shared above should not be used without permission from this blog's writer. S1 & S2 footage to honor the artistry of beautifully crafted scenes. 

E10 Heartbreaking ending with Emily succumbing to Peter Knox trying to take the page from Ashmole 782 away from her while she conjured the spirit of Rebecca, Diana's mother. Sarah holds Emily and Marcus tries to stop Peter from escaping. Ysabeau is inside Sept-Tours holding the emblem of The Knights of Lazarus. Em sacrifices herself to protect everyone else from Knox.
Under blue moon I saw you
So soon you'll take me
Up in your arms, too late to beg you
Or cancel it though I know it must be
The killing time
Unwillingly mine
Fate
Up against your will
Through the thick and thin
He will wait until
You give yourself to him
"Killing Moon" original by Echo & The Bunnymen; cover by Roman Remains
 

It was a brilliant choice to allow the songs to fade in at the most gripping moments as each episode comes to an end, and then continues along with the scenes of the next episode.

No comments: